Here is an applique picture which I just completed for my Arts & Crafts Society's show and sale, which will take place this weekend. It is a compilation of motifs cut from decorator fabric samples, which are available at a local fabric store. Even the lace was a very small fabric sample!
I think I cut apart three different floral fabrics and assembled the individual flowers into a "bouquet". The entire piece was simply stretched over stretcher strips and the back covered with a piece of stiff interfacing, with a wire for hanging. All of the picture elements were fused to the backing fabrics and sewn with a zig-zag stitch around the edges! The finished size is 12" x 16".
This piece was a pleasure to make with such lovely fabric samples to work with!