Monday, June 2, 2014

Gelli Plate Adventures

I've had my 8" x 10" Gelli Plate for a couple of years,
and have mainly used it to create prints on paper.
Since I'm working on a couple of fabric pictures for an exhibit,
I decided to make some hand printed fabrics to mix in with the
commercial fabrics I usually use.

I took these photos on my porch at dusk last night, so the colors 
look stronger than they actually are.
I put a mixture of shades of green on the plate and spread them with a brayer.


Then I pressed a sheet of textured paper into the paint for one print,


and a plastic placemat for a different texture in another print.


I did a couple of layers of color on each print and these were the results.
These should make interesting leaves and blades of grass when cut out.


I also worked in shades of brown and gray, which I'll 
use for rocks!


This probably looks pretty messy and ugly right now,
but the process was very enjoyable and, hopefully, I'll be able to
show you what I'll be using them for in the near future!!

I'm so grateful to find inspiration in creating things like this!!!

Wishing you a creative day!!

6 comments:

Anne Butera said...

What fun. I've seen gelli plates online, but wasn't ever quite sure how they worked. I look forward to seeing how your leaves and rocks turn out!

sharon said...

Hand printed fabric… love the idea. These turned out amazingly well, Judy. Can't wait to see what's next.

sharon said...

Hand printed fabric… love the idea. These turned out amazingly well, Judy. Can't wait to see what's next.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I finally broke down and bought a Gelli Plate and we love it. I can't wait to see what you do with these.

Andrea said...

Great results Judy...looks like you had fun!

Simone said...

The gelli plate looks so much fun to use. I look forward to seeing what you produce with your pieces! x