Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Feeling Creative

I always say there's nothing like a deadline to stir up creativity, and I'm scheduled to participate in  two shows this Fall, which is right around the corner! If you talked to me yesterday, you would have heard how anxious I was about this, but I feel much better today, having broken through the creative block I had been dealing with.

This morning, I spread out my materials - my hand painted fabrics, roving, etc. - and propped up a piece of foam board with the beginnings of some landscapes pinned to it.



I worked on the two top landscapes simultaneously, concentrating first on the lower one. I do love purple and green together, so this one had me excited. I audition many fabrics as I go along and lightly tack the pieces to some white flannel, which I use as the base for my landscapes. So, I started with this...


and proceeded to this point...


Here's a higher contrast photo, where you can see that I draped the dark green sheer fabric in the foreground and ironed it down, but not entirely flat. I'm happy with this technique which I had been wanting to try. I need to mull over this now and decide where to add details with roving, threads or beads. And I need to decide where and whether to add trees, so I'll just sit with it for a few days.


The second landscape started with this orange/pink fabric I had painted some time ago. I really just wanted to experiment with it, but it seemed to come together pretty quickly (meaning, in about two hours with auditioning fabrics, etc) and I went out on a limb and added some bits of wool roving and hand dyed cheesecloth for texture, then finally, a setting sun. Or is it dawn? That will be up to the viewer!


I'm happy to have started this journey, which will be going on until November.
Thanks for reading, and hope you're having a lovely week!

Now to clean up my mess for the day!!!

6 comments:

Libby Fife said...

Those landscapes are so pretty! Looking forward to seeing pics of this upcoming show. I know you will do well:)

sharon said...

How do you manage to catch the light so?
Your colors ease the eyes and sooth the soul.
beautiful.

Anne Butera said...

Your landscapes are beautiful. And they look so YOU. You have such a distinctive color palette and style. Just lovely.

And your new header is wonderful. It's fun to change things up.

Enjoy prepping for your shows!

Anonymous said...

These are incredible. I love the use of the hand dyed cheesecloth...giving it so much texture and movement.

fromyourmindseye.com said...

Judy,

These landscapes are so lovely. Do you use photos as inspiration or does it all come from your head?
I love this time of year. It is when I feel the most creative. As soon as the heat leaves, I will start painting more.
Happy Art Days!

Julie

Simone said...

Good luck with the shows Judy! Your landscapes are beautiful and atmospheric. I see the final photo as a sun rise - a lovely pink dawn! x