Saturday, January 10, 2009

Fabric House Portraits


As I 
think about where I'd like to go with my artwork this year, I've been looking back at some photos of work I created in years gone by.
For about 15 years I did fabric house portraits, making custom pictures of homes, schools and even a church! My first attempts were pretty simple, but over the years I developed more complicated techniques, using a combination of quilting and decorator fabrics and finishing every edge with a neat zig-zag stitch. I belonged to an artisans' co-op and had my sample house portrait displayed there, with business cards nearby, so that folks could order directly from me.

The interaction with customers was interesting. Some were very particular about details, some were appreciative of anything I did. Some pictures were done as gifts and some were special mementos of treasured family homes. Frequently the unveiling of a finished piece was rewarded with a hug or even tears.  There is something so personal and precious about a home.
I'm thinking of taking this up again, using paper as a medium instead of fabric. I think a house and yard could be rendered very crisply in cut paper with even more dimensionality than with fabric.
 I plan to give it a try!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Judy those are amazing! I can't wait to see how you do these working in paper.

tea time and roses said...

Hello dear Judy!

My goodness your work is simply amazing! I am so happy that you decided to share these beautiful pieces with us! I am in awe at just how you could accomplish something so intricate as these beautiful homes! You are indeed a wonderful artist, and I can hardly wait to see just what you have in store for us next!!:o) Have a lovely week!

Smiles...

Beverly

summer girl said...

Judy...I remember so well when you were doing these portraits...but I had forgotten just how beautiful they are...they look like photographs...I am sure your paper work will be equally exquisite...remember the very large wall hanging you did for UCC Canton? It is still there!

Unknown said...

You are amazing!

Anonymous said...

Okay, seriously you are super good! I'm just looking and not believing how beautiful all of these are!

Gayle said...

Wow...these are incredible!

quiltcat said...

Found my way here from Karen's blog. These are spectacular! Very "painterly" ...real art!