Saturday, January 17, 2009

Time to Reorganize


I've been snoozing on my blog this week for a good reason. The clutter in my sewing room/studio was really getting to me and I was fearing for my safety every time I walked in there! A nice room at the end of a hallway, it had become the catch-all for all kinds of stuff, so I set out to conquer the mess and find some peace of mind.
It helped that my husband was away on business. I started out making piles of related items, sorting, purging and generally creating a disruptive hurricane throughout the house. Little by little I added things back into the room, in orderly containers, labeled and neatly displayed.
These before and after photos show just a corner of the room. Elsewhere, more work needs to be done.
 I possess an inordinate amount of fabric for someone who works on a very small scale and does not even make quilts. Somehow it is hard to part with even a quarter yard of fabric which I remember buying in a quilt shop on Nantucket thirty years ago...  Having a sentimental attachment to fabric might seem strange to some, but I suspect there are folks reading this post who understand the feeling. So, I'm holding my breath, packing up some cloth of questionable fiber content and getting rid of that with no compunction. But my little flowery cotton prints will go to find new homes where I hope they'll be used to make beautiful things.
 The big clean-up is still in process, but I'm feeling some satisfaction with what has already 
been accomplished. Now, if I just move the stuff off the chair, I might even be able to sit at my
sewing machine!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a great space you have to create in Judy.

Pat said...

Thanks for your visit to my blog, leaving me a wonderful comment. I just read about your reorganizing efforts and it looks like you've done a marvelous job. I am very neat, but make a big mess when working on a project...so when finished working on something...a little reorganizing is always going on. Helps keep down the mess. Now do I have TOO MUCH fabric and other "ingredients".....Oh, my, do I, so it's a constant struggle....one I LOVE!!! Thanks for your kind comments and have a great day....Pat

Birds of a Feather said...

Oh boy does my studio need to be whipped into shape - looks great!

Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog about your parents chandelier.

xo Heidi

paperbird said...

Thank you judy for your comment on my post. Very nice of you to stop by and it is very much appreciated. This blogging has been a fun experience. So many kind people out there!

summer girl said...

Hey, girlfriend, good job! Doesn't it feel great when you complete a cleaning project like that? and when you clean off the chair, you can just sit in there for a while and admire your hard work!

Julie Bagamary said...

Good for you in organizing. I make a big mess with each project but try to clean out afterward. Otherwise it's hard for me to focus.

Gayle said...

We were on the same page as I did the same over the weekend. I thought I had made a dent in my fabric supply...ha! After organizing everything, I realized I was running out of machine quilting thread and that was about it...so much fabric still. :-)

tea time and roses said...

Hello Judy!

That corner looks beautiful! You have really been putting some work in your room!:o) I know what you mean about not wanting to part with your fabric, it is just so hard to do! By the way you have a beautiful place to work...just wonderful!

Smiles...

Beverly