Saturday, July 11, 2009

I'm Still Here!

I haven't been posting much because I've been a bit stuck artistically lately. Lots of ideas, unfinished projects and plans - but I'm finding it hard to settle down and do my work. Hmmm - I remind myself of some of the children I've worked with!
I know that at least part of the problem is my cluttered workspace, and I am finally getting down to decluttering - yet again!! 
This time I'm going for a real purge! I have more than enough storage space in my studio, but every area is stuffed with fabric, embellishments, yarn (I don't even knit or crochet!) - you name it. I'm realizing that, with each phase of art and crafting that I have explored, I've accumulated more materials than I would ever be able to use in my lifetime. Also, my husband and I moved from a larger colonial in New York seven years ago to a smaller split level in Massachusetts, and we have had to pare down quite a bit, yet I've never pared down my stash of materials!
Egad - this is not rocket science!!
Thus begins my valiant quest for simplicity and serenity. (A bonus would be to find my favorite scissors which I haven't seen for ages!)

Meanwhile I will try to finish up some projects and post them.
Wishing everyone a great weekend!

Smiles,
Judy


6 comments:

Shell said...

I just changed my bedroom around about two weeks ago. It gave my space a whole new look and gave me new creative energy. I'm sure once you get everything decluttered, all that creative juice will start to come out for you.

Libby Fife said...

Looks like we are all in the same boat. I did a giant sewing room purge a couple of months back. It felt great to get down to just what I thought I needed as opposed to what I thought I needed:):) Good luck on it-I know it will make you feel better.

Judy Hartman said...

Thank you, Shell and Libby! I am already realizing that there are many things I thought I might need at some point in time that I WILL NEVER NEED! It feels good to 'let go'! I appreciate your encouragement!

tea time and roses said...

Hello Judy!

I know exactly what you mean my friend! We artist and crafters have the hardest time really destashing!:o) I know in my gut I may not ever use some of the things in my stash but one never knows.:o) But I must say, it indeed feels so good with a cleared studio and creativity springing forth once again!:o) Enjoy a lovely week my friend.

Smiles...

Beverly

Nan and =^..^= said...

Hi Judy,
I too am in the same boat, I seem to save everything and and it does get so crowded and cluttered in my studio.
It does feel so wonderful to find places for everything and I find myself looking around in awe when that happens, but it doesn't last long.

supplies overflowing! said...

I can relate to the supply thing...Recently while working on the pillow for the challenge at MindWideOpen, my husband asked me where all the components for it came from. It really was a silly question. I have a hard time tossing anything out- (he knows that, too!)and that includes some of my kids' old art supplies!
It does help to reorganize every now and then, however. Maybe you will find those scissors!