Monday, July 4, 2011

A Colorful Experience!

First off, today is Independence Day here in the USA
and I'd like to wish everyone a very 
Happy 4th of July!     
                                            
                                            


Next, I want to tell you about a wonderful experience I had recently.

My husband and I went to the Chihuly glass exhibit 
at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston.
We were unprepared for the explosion of color and artistry that greeted us!



A huge glass sculpture greeted us when we entered the museum's new wing,


and above us was a row of gorgeous, lighted glass windows.

Room after room was filled with beautiful collections of colorful blown glass sculptures,




as well as beautiful, luminescent chandeliers!



But my favorite room was the one in which the entire ceiling was a glowing glass canopy!


It was a great experience seeing such amazing color and artwork.
I'll write more about the new wing
and the Art of the Americas exhibits in my next post!

7 comments:

sharon said...

Happy 4th, Judy!
I was fortunate to see a Chihuly exhibit staged in Chicago's Garfield Park Conservatory several years ago. The many, many pieces were very floral in shape and color. His work cannot be described in words, it is so wondrous. He had a piece staged at the entrance to the Chicagoland Flower and Garden Show that year, which was over a story high. Magnificent. The conservtory was gifted with several pieces that resemble lily pads and are displayed permanently in one of the indoor pools. Unfortunately, last week the 100 year old conservatory suffered a hailstorm that broke over 60% of its glass ceilings. I haven't heard whether or not the Chihuly pieces were damaged, but the conservatory is closed til further notice. Jerome and I had just visited there in March. It was a favorite place and Anne and Matthias had planned to go there later this month when they meet in Chicago for a concert. Breaks my heart. Hope you have a lovely 4th.

plastic card said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
plastic card said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Libby Fife said...

Those pictures are so beautiful. Thanks Judy too as I wouldn't have seen the exhibit:)

Karen L R said...

WOW!

fromyourmindseye.com said...

I LOVE Chihuly. Have you ever seen the documentary done on how he works and what it takes to set up an exhibit. I think it was on PBS. He is an inspriation.
JUlie

Cat said...

Beautiful art. Love the combination of color and light that he gets! Amazing.