Saturday, July 23, 2011

A Proud Day

My husband and I have just returned from a trip to NY City where we previewed a new exhibit at MoMA, The Museum of Modern Art. The exhibit is called 'Talk to Me' and our daughter Kate's work is in it! The exhibit explores computers, devices, environments and communication.
The weather was sizzling, the streets were busy, but our entire focus was on getting to MoMA.


Once there, we were excited to see the design aspects of the exhibit,




The corridor was lined with monitors showing fascinating projects


and in the center of the main room were two of Kate's hats, the Muttering Hat and the Talk to Yourself Hat.  Always an out-of-the box thinker, Kate brings humor to questions of communication and socialization through her various devices, while seriously considering the relationships between things and people.


Also on exhibit was a group project she co-created called Botanicalls. If you follow this link be sure to click on "classic" to see a clever "newsreel".


I've seen these projects many times, but seeing them in a museum setting moved me to tears! Can't help it - I'm a proud mom!
Kate is currently a professor at OCAD university in Toronto, just finished directing a summer program at New York University and this past March gave a TED talk in California.

As we left the museum and went on to other adventures, we bid a fond


Such a memorable experience!

14 comments:

Andrea said...

WOW...just fabulous! Hoping to get to see the show in person sometime this fall.

Libby Fife said...

Go Kate!!! Proud Mom indeed. Thanks for sharing too; Kate looks wonderful-just wish I could see the exhibit in person:)

Alice said...

Judy, I noticed your name on a comment on our group blog, The Material Mavens, and that brought me to yours! How exciting for you to have a daughter exhibited at such a prestigious exhibit! I loved seeing her hats! I also really love the image that accompanies your blog. As I get ready to construct my first MM 12x12 quilt, on the theme of Harmony, one of the designs I am contemplating would involve an applique somewhat similar to yours, so I was particularly drawn to it! Now to explore your blog further.....

Simone said...

You have a very clever daughter! I could do with a 'talk to myself' hat as I do a lot of talking to myself! x

MiKa Art said...

Wow, congratulation to Kate and your family!! I love MoMA. This must have been really awesome!!!

lisa stubbs said...

Wow, looks amazing, it would have brought a tear to my eye too! You must be so very proud of your daughters great achievements, just fantastic! Thank you for your comment on my blog, it gives me inspiration to stay strong, I want to be around to see my daughters achievements! Thank you x

sharon said...

Judy,
Kate is certainly an interesting, creative, talented girl, but you've known that all her life, haven't you? Congrats to the mom who helped her world be one of exploration and curiosity and kept humor on the agenda. What a venue for her work, the MoMA! Amazing. Fine job there, mom. And congrats, Kate.

Anne Butera said...

How wonderful, Judy! Of course you're proud!!!

Sounds like a wonderful exhibit and how exciting, too!

fromyourmindseye.com said...

Judy, you SHOULD be proud of her. I would be moved to tears too.

Judy Hartman said...

Thank you so much, dear friends, for your comments.

Judy Hartman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cat said...

How fun! Cool exhibit, and Kate's hats are so imaginative - so neat that her hats were on display! I could use a talk to myself hat that filters out all the data and makes me an organized list.

supplies overflowing! said...

This is so cool!! COngratulations to you and Kate! I love the hats!
jenny

Karen L R said...

amazing and awesome...kate and her parents all!