Friday, September 28, 2012

Audrey and Marilyn

We are having an Art Walk in our town beginning tomorrow, with participating businesses showing works by local artists in their windows. Since I've been helping with the planning, I requested a specific shop, Florence's Fashions, because I enjoy the the owner's  sense of humor and glitzy fashions. When Barbara, the owner, mentioned that she was doing a Halloween window, including a mannequin dressed up like Marilyn Monroe, I decided to make something specifically for this display.

So, using fabric, stitching, pastels and plastic "jewels", I made Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly!


She is mounted on an 11x14" canvas and the sides are trimmed with silver glitter ribbon.


And, done in cut paper, fake "jewels" and an elaborate frame - Marilyn Monroe!


This was a fun project for me! I spent a great deal of time researching photos and stories about these women, made many drawings, and glued on each "jewel" by hand - and felt very satisfied when I delivered the pictures today! Barbara was really enthusiastic about them and they'll be in her window for two weeks. Today is cold and rainy, but on a better day I'll take a picture of the window and  post it here.

Here's wishing you a wonderful weekend!



11 comments:

sharon said...

Love it all, your ladies and where they'll be displayed. Can't wait to see them in the window of the shop.
Congrats, Judy!

Anonymous said...

Wow Judy! Absolutely fabulous work! Your pieces will definitely add glamour to the event!
Stay inspired!

Libby Fife said...

You are just totally in your element with these two pieces. All of your efforts really shine through! And the women look lovely to boot.

I hope you do well for the Art Walk. I don't see how you couldn't!

Nan and =^..^= said...

Oh, those are so wonderful! You really captured them perfectly!
Looking forward to seeing them in the window!

Lorinda.C.F said...

These are wonderful Judy! You absolutely captured both of them. Your talents never cease to amaze me xx

Jennifer Richardson said...

wonderful!
what a beautiful way
this touches my heart
so!
once again, inspired to
golightly:)
thanks for sharing
your unique and lovely way,
Jennifer

Simone said...

You should be very proud of yourself Judy! Beautiful representations of the icons. I especially like the way you have captured Audrey Hepburns doe like eyes! x

Lyn said...

these are wonderful Judy!
love Audrey.
xxx

Karen L R said...

Oh, what fun! These are so wonderful, Judy!

Gwen said...

You are so clever...these are very inspirational women aren't they?
xx
Beautiful work, Judy!

fromyourmindseye.com said...

Judy,

I LOVE, LOVE , LOVE, these two pieces. You are doing fantastic work. I think regrouping is paying off for you.

Love