Friday, October 24, 2014

Embroidery Class

 I'm still working away on pieces for the artisan show I'll be part of next weekend, but for now I wanted to show some photos of the "Drawing With Stitches" class I'm taking right now.  We've learned a few hand embroidery stitches and each person is working on a project of her choice. This blackwork piece is being done by our instructor, Amy Ropple, freehand, with no pattern. Beautiful!


Two people, AnnMarie and Amy, are making designs using only French knots.



Barbara is working on a Celtic knot design with beautifully 
muted colors and intricate stitches.


Rosalie is embroidering an apple on black felt - this is an early photo.


There are two other members of the class, SooKhim and Barbara,
 but I didn't get good photos of their work - hopefully I'll get more soon.

I'm working on an embroidery of a little drawing I did - of course I had to add a cat!



Cairo, our instructor's parrot, visited the class and
I was lucky enough to have a visit with him! He sat on my hand for several minutes!


As always, we have a lot of laughs in our classes and I feel
fortunate to be part of them!

Hope you've had a great week!

8 comments:

Libby Fife said...

It looks like you are having a great time. Your images of children are always so sweet:) And lucky you! A visit with Cairo!

fromyourmindseye.com said...

Judy,
Seeing the piece using French Knots flooded me with memories. When I was a kid, I loved to do embroidery. I think I still have several pieces I did tucked away somewhere. As an adult, I designed and sold needlepoint canvases. I made Christmas Stockings for each of my children long before they were available in stores. Still have them today. Great memories. I don't do it now because it is so hard for me to thread the needles that it takes forever, but I love the end result.

Have a great time.

Julie

Simone said...

The embroidery class looks like so much fun! The blackwork is amazing considering a pattern isn't being followed. Your cute embroidery is lovely Judy. I can't wait to see the finshed cat too! x

tea time and roses said...

Hello Judy!

Oh my it has been awhile since visiting your lovely blog. What beautiful embroidery work. I too love to stitch, so relaxing and the end result is something wonderful.

I also took a peek at a few back post, you have been busy making pretty! I'll be back soon I promise.

Smiles.....

Beverly

Anonymous said...

Your embroidery is so sweet...love the addition of the cat. :)

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL!!
I really like your embroidery-drawing!!
It is fascinating how you always find new things to learn and make!!
Have a nice weekend!

Jennifer Richardson said...

I love looking through the door
you hold open
to see the beauty your hands are
creating...it inspires me every
single time:)
Thank you that,
Jennifer

Anne Butera said...

Wonderful, Judy! I noticed you were pinning a lot of embroidery on Pinterest and was looking forward to seeing some of your own. :)

Can't wait, also, to see photos from your show.