Saturday, May 19, 2018

Hello Spring!

This seems like the perfect time to come back to my blog. It's May and springtime is finally kicking in after some very un-springlike weather in April! The little spring-green leaves are heady in their sweetness and flowering trees are popping up everywhere. Our kinetic sculpture, Ollie the Owl, is flapping his wings in the breeze and the daffodils are in full bloom.


The last few months have been filled with lots of stitching and making. I impulsively agreed to participate in a couple of local exhibits, which gave me the incentive to create some new pieces. The first exhibit, which took place in early March, was called Art and Edibles, with a theme of food and drink.
I decided to focus on one of my favorite beverages, coffee, and to add a bit of humor to it. And so, that first cup in the morning, a cat waiting to be fed...."7:10 AM".


The next exhibit, which took place in March, had a 60's theme and was called "Flower Power".  My subject matter was pretty obvious, but I really enjoyed making my flower child. A large piece for me, she measures 16x20 inches and I stretched it over a canvas with no frame. I used a combination of appliqué, machine and hand embroidery, and it now is hanging in my studio.


I also did this smaller picture of a loosely textured flower with raw edged appliquéd leaves on a textured fabric background, also stretched over a canvas.


Finally, I was part of our local Arts Collaborative's Spring Show, where I showed the previous pictures as well as a few older ones. All of the shows were fun and well attended, and it's nice now to have a break from exhibits until the Fall comes around.


I've also been doing some small embroideries and fabric and cut paper pictures, which  you've probably seen if you follow me on Instagram (@judyhartman_artandstitch), so I apologize for that. But here are a few...












Finally, I'll share these beautiful irises, sent by my daughter Kate
for Mother's Day...


Until next time,
take care!

Thanks for visiting!!

3 comments:

sharon said...

Lovely to see you back on the blog. Been keeping my eye on your instagram posts but so enjoyed seeing your work a bit more closely here today. Happy to see that spring has sprung in your neck of the woods, as it has here. Gotta love it!

Simone said...

Welcome back Judy! I've been seeing your work on Instagram too but it is lovely to see it showcased here all together! That little cat looking up at you whilst you have your coffee is the sweetest little image! x

Karen L R said...

spring has finally exploded here too, thank goodness.
thanks for sharing all of your creativity here judy...it's such fun to see the thoughtful details you bring to your work.
xo