Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Recent Work

Since the beginning of the year, I've found a lot of comfort in creativity. In March, the arts collaborative I'm part of had an exhibit called Arts and Edibles, which included art representing anything food related. One of my pieces, done mostly in felt appliqué, was called "We Gather".
I tried to incorporate all sorts of people, races, left handed and right handed, meat eaters and vegetarians, and even a dog! Fun to do, but a lot of little carrots to cut out!


I also did this piece called "Fruit From the Tree" (I'm terrible at naming artwork), for which I painted  pieces of lace to create this lady's hairdo. The face was done with painted and stitched fabric.


Since then I've been involved with the 100 Day Project on Instagram, and I've chosen to do 100 days of stitching. I had recently become aware of something called "stitched meditation", or stitching just as a repetitive, soothing practice. I've done a few pieces with this method and enjoy it. I usually try to incorporate a couple of different fabrics and some basic embroidery stitches. Here are a few of these pieces.




And then, of course, I've done some other things. Must do more cats!!






I like doing the 100 day project (I've tried it two other times) - I never get 100 pieces done, but I do produce much more work than usual. It's helpful to have a backlog of work when Autumn shows and fairs come along!

Thanks so much for visiting and reading.
Have a great day!


5 comments:

Karen L R said...

I have been struggling with comments...trying to leave them and to allow them over at my place. Such a mystery this internet is! Anyhow...I love to see your work here Judy. The whole IG vs. blog thing has me wondering a lot about how we are all roaming the online world! xo

sharon said...

Lovely to see a collection, though I peek into your instagram window with regularity. Your hand work always brings me delight. I'm especially taken with your layered, stitched pieces. Such color! Congratulations.
Happy spring.

cap digitizing said...

I have read your article and this is really impressive for new readers and this is such beneficial blog for developing knowledge about embroideries techniques.

Simone said...

You have been busy Judy! I love all your work especially the one involving a cat! x

Anne said...

Hi, Judy,

This is so lovely. Glad you're doing the 100 day project. Hope all is well with you!

Wishing you joy,
Anne