Today was a good day for painting fabric, but not the best day for photographing it!
I wanted more landscape colors and I decided to try a different
approachwith Setacolor transparent paints.
I used a faintly printed sepia cotton fabric as a base,
which I figured would give texture and a warm undertone.
I always know that whatever I paint will be cut up into pieces for collage,
so I usually try out different techniques in different areas.
I started with these smooth and swirly strokes, then dried and heat set this piece.
Next I added more color, then dried and heat set it again.
Finally, I added more color and gave it a final ironing.
It's a very overcast day here, so the photos don't really show the intensity of the colors.
What I was attempting to do by heat setting between steps was to preserve the brush strokes
of a step, then layer over it with more brush strokes, instead of
having each layer of strokes blend in with the next.
I painted a few more pieces of fabric, but I'll wait until tomorrow to photograph them.
Hopefully the light will be better!
Eventually these pieces will be used in ladscapes - I promise!