Sunday, March 11, 2012

New Collages

I finished up a couple of collages in the last few days. The first included the pen and ink picture of my mom which I had made recently, done from a photo taken when she was 21 years old.


The second collage was based on a silk screen print of a leaf I made with the help of my friend Andrea, who is a surface design artist. 



On Saturday, Andrea and I gave a demonstration for members of our arts collaborative. Andrea did a great job showing how to silkscreen easily with an embroidery hoop and a piece of screening which can be purchased at an art supply store. She also explained more traditional methods.



These pictures aren't that great, but Andrea made it look pretty simple. I'm going to give it a try later this week and will do a post about it with better pictures.  

I did my part talking about collage, using examples of my own work and that of others. I have to say, we had the greatest group, with plenty of questions and lots of laughs. It helped that we knew nearly every person who walked in the door! It was a good experience and I definitely learned a lot!

Hope you had a wonderful weekend! 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay, sounds like fun. Now of course I want to learn that silk screening method!
stay inspired!

sharon said...

Teaching, learning, sharing, inspiring. Now that's what I call a good weekend!
Your mom would love her collage portrait, Judy. Well done.
Hope you can spend some restorative time out of doors during this unusual warm spell.

Karen L R said...

what lucky students...a two for one special!

Libby Fife said...

I knew you would have a good experience:)

Carol A. Babineau said...

Looks like a great time and your collages are just terrific! Your pen & ink of your Mom is beautiful and a very nice tribute. Way to go Judy!

Jennifer Richardson said...

I love the way you live!
all so beautiful:)
-Jennifer

Anne Butera said...

Lovely! And what fun you had! Your flower collage looks great, too. I love cutting things out of magazine and pasting them in my idea books with my trusty glue stick. Somehow it's so satisfying!

Sorry to hear that you were ill. Glad you're feeling better now.

Gwen said...

I love what you have done with your mom's portrait... sets it off beautifully. I also like the leaf collage, very much. Collage is fun and I'm so glad the swan card was able to become a resource for your lesson.
Keep busy:)
xxxx