I've been wanting to do a vase of flowers in applique, so I let the paint flow in loose flowery shapes. I didn't worry too much about definition, since I knew I would cut them out later and define the shapes with stitching.
I tried two approaches, first painting on fabric which I had previously painted and heat set. This gave me richer colors since these are transparent paints which get deeper with each layer of paint. I did this also with a prepainted green fabric to achieve leaves in richer greens.
The second approach was to paint on white fabric with clear colors to achieve a bright, springy look. I love how fresh the colors are!
I can't tell you how relaxing it is for me to paint fabric, especially when I don't have any time constraints. I plan to use these fabrics in some applique pictures in the next few days.