Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Fabric Painting

This morning, while my laundry was drying, I set up shop on top of the washing machine and did some fabric painting. With protective plastic in place and my Setacolor fabric paints at the ready, I got lost in painting for about two hours.
I've been wanting to do a vase of flowers in applique, so I let the paint flow in loose flowery shapes. I didn't worry too much about definition, since I knew I would cut them out later and define the shapes with stitching.
I tried two approaches, first painting on fabric which I had previously painted and heat set. This gave me richer colors since these are transparent paints which get deeper with each layer of paint. I did this also with a prepainted green fabric to achieve leaves in richer greens.
The second approach was to paint on white fabric with clear colors to achieve a bright, springy look. I love how fresh the colors are!

I can't tell you how relaxing it is for me to paint fabric, especially when I don't have any time constraints. I plan to use these fabrics in some applique pictures in the next few days.

4 comments:

Vicki W said...

Oh, that looks like fun!

quiltcat said...

that looks like fun! and i'm ready for those bright spring colors!

seriously amused said...

It looks like fun and your results are beautiful!!!

J

Julie Bagamary said...

These are BEAUTIFUL!