Well, I have finally completed my woodland scene! It ended up being more complex than I had first intended - sometimes a picture takes on a life of its own!
I had started out with a geometric background and meant to keep it simple, but as I applied the trees and foliage, it became more realistic looking, and I added more and more. The forest floor looked a bit bright, so I used pastels to add shadows, rubbing them into the fabric. This will never be washed, so I'm not concerned about their rubbing off.
I stitched over the whole surface, which added texture and motion. In times past, I used to carefully satin stitch around the edge of every detail in an applique picture, but I'm getting looser and just using a meandering straight stitch, sometimes outlining, sometimes not.
I'm very happy to have finished this project
on to something new!!