Thursday, December 30, 2010

What Will You Do In 2011?

On our trip to Tuscany, May 2010

Every New Year's my long-time friend Ann and I have a long conversation about our goals and plans for the coming year. We've known each other since we were 18, and our priorities have run the gamut from finding the right man to weight loss to becoming better people. A constant theme for me through the years has been developing my artistic abilities. (I still need to lose weight, by the way.) We never seem to grow tired of this ritual and I have to admit that it really excites me.
Like everyone, I have my personal goals for self improvement, but in my creative life I'm feeling the desire to stretch and grow. Sometimes I feel like the title of my blog belies what I actually do. Where do you draw the line between art and craft (the eternal question) and is what I'm doing more craft than art?
The name of my blog started off as 'Fabric Art and Crafts' and I'm wondering whether I should go back to that to cover all bases. Or, another approach would be to make my work more artistic. Just thinking out loud here!
I'm wondering how many people use the new year as a fresh start and make goals as we do. What do you think you'll be focusing on this year? I'd love to hear about it. By the way, I never worry about not completely fulfilling my goals - there is always the possibility of carrying over to the next year. I did find the right man 33 years ago, but I'll be putting 'lose weight' on this year's list - again!!!

I'd like to wish everyone who reads this a very happy and prosperous New Year!
May you pursue your passion,
and draw family and friends closer.
Wishing you peace and happiness!

5 comments:

Beatriz said...

Don´t keep this weight thing inside your mind! Just keep "being healthy and beautiful" on top of the list and whatever you consider that doesn´t agree with that will go away!

Happy New Year!

Anne Butera said...

I love making lists of goals for the new year. How fun that you and your longtime friend do it together each year!

Wishing you a wonderful 2011!

Shell said...

Happy New Year, Judy!! It's cool to share your goals with a dear friend.
BTW, I can't tell you how many times I put release weight for my year's goal. I am happy that I released some weight this year and look forward to do more for 2011.

Libby Fife said...

Happy New Year, Judy! I like the title of your current blog. When I think about your work, I don't think fabric, paper, craft, or art. I think about the effort and feeling that I suspect goes in to what you make. So for me, Hartfelt Art (though a play on your name) fits the bill perfectly:)

I am trying to firm up my thoughts for 2011 as we speak!

Unknown said...

Okay dear friend! What a delight to share our annual goals once again....thank you for your precious gift of Long Time (very, very long time!)Friendship....YES, we are definately going in the right direction "fullness of living in joy & wellbeing - health & happiness..." Love & Blessings as you continue on your journey of spreading your light, love and joy through your gift of art! Ann, San Diego