ART and STITCH by Judy Hartman

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Little Trees

First of all, many thanks to everyone for your good wishes after my recent fall.
Bruises are healing and I'm feeling a bit better every day.
Today I felt like I really needed to stay put, so I set about cutting some
little trees for my landscapes. I think I could describe my style in making fabric
art as a discovery expedition. By this I mean that I look at variegated fabric, especially
batiks, and find the areas that 'speak to me'. No, I'm not a fabric psychic, but I do look
 for passages in the design that remind me of nature and elements I want to depict.
When I cut out trees and other things, the fabric has already been backed 
with Wonder Under, which makes for a nice crisp cut.
These pieces are just tossed on a background of hand painted sky fabric.


More cut-outs...


and here is a hand embroidered tree which I tried recently.
This technique should work well with soft grounds like wool felting.


Finally, I feel like I'm making progress on my landscape-making journey!!

Hope you're having a good week!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love your little embroidered tree!! :)

Stay inspired!
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Such a sweet embroidered tree and I love your fabric trees amongst the landscape as well. :)

sharon said...

So pleased to know you're feeling better bit by bit, Judy. And to see you working again. You certainly have a way with fibers and colors. Wish I could watch over your shoulder.
Keep feeling better, dear friend.

Simone said...

I am glad that you are healing Judy although it must have been a nasty shock and experience for you. Nice to see you have been doing some therapeutic tree cutting! x

Lyn said...

Oh I love the little tree, so pretty!
xxx

Jennifer Richardson said...

So sorry to hear about your bruises....hope you're mending well and being especially gentle with yourself:)
Love, love, love your trees!
healing hugs,
Jennifer