Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Quilts, Quilts, Quilts - Part 2

 In my last post, I wrote about a terrific exhibit I saw last week, showcasing the work of two quilt artist friends. I shared the work of Susan Walsh, and now I'd like to do the same with the quilts of Barbara Malek. When she's not doing professional long arm machine quilting on other people's quilts, Barbara creates beautiful work of her own.





On the basket quilt below, the flowers are intricately quilted as part of the design.




And this award-winning cone flower quilt is one of my favorites!




This quilt has pockets to hold part of Barbara's collection of vintage hankies, which can be swapped with others from time to time, and shows off some of her mother of pearl button collection.


This Christmas quilt has beautiful hand embroidery...


as well as some personal humor! (Barbara's husband and cats!)


And finally, Barbara has begun a series of vintage dresses, with hand embroidery and rich embellishment. They are really stunning 'in person'.




There are more quilts, but I've chosen my favorites. Hope you've enjoyed seeing them!

4 comments:

sharon said...

Oh so happy for you to have this experience! Do I see vintage dress quilts in your future??? thanks for sharing.

Anne Butera said...

What talented quilters you've shared, Judy! I LOVE the coneflowers. So lovely! Thank you for sharing!

Simone said...

So much work and attention to detail have gone into these quilts. They are wonderful! x

Turbo IT Solutions said...

Hey! great article. very helpful. The information is very well written and very well explained. Thank you for sharing. oriental rugs for sale